Tag Archives: Tawashi

Fishy!!! FO Friday & a Dishcloth Update

A few weeks ago I discovered the fish Tawashi on Ravelry. I immediately had to resist the urge to cast one on. They are cute, fast, stash busters and can be used for the Dishcloth Challenge.
But this week, I could no longer resist and had to make one. The pattern calls for “a small amount of yarn” so I took what I perceived to be a small amount of yarn out of my stash and set to work. A very short period of time later, I had this. It’s a fish scrubby ready to scrub my dirty dishes clean.

It is clearly a fish. And it’s cute and fast. But what shocked me was the minuscule amount of yarn it did actually use.
So I decided to make another one. I started by bringing out far less yarn. 22 grams to be exact.

This is what 22g of Mission Falls ends look like.
Another very short time later I had this little guy to match the first one.


And after weighing the yarn that was remaining I discovered that each of these little guys only uses 12 grams of yarn.  That’s a tiny amount.  Really tiny.  I see a few more of these in my future very soon to use up the itty bitty ends that I thought were too small for anything.

For more Friday knitting check out FO FridaysCreative Friday, Fiber Arts Friday, and Fibers on Friday

The original idea for dishcloth challenge came from  Ruth.  Head on over to her blog to read all about it.

A Dishcloth Update, or: I am in Tawashi Bliss

A few weeks ago …….. sent me a link to the two toned tawashi. (Thank you so much for that)!  So when the second round of Nerd Wars started and one of the challenges was to create something out of scraps I printed off the pattern and began.  Initially, I had only planned to make one, but somehow I blinked and had three.  I love the tawashi.


First, I have to be honest and admit that I love these partly just because I love the word.  It’s fun to say.  Change the inflection a little bit as your repeat it and it’s even more fun.  I may even have sent a text message to my husband that had the word Tawashi in it and nothing else.  (I am not willing to confirm or deny that last statement.  I’m just saying it might have happened.  Four times.  In one message.  Hypothetically.)  Second, these are incredibly fast to knit.  They are so fast that they make other fast projects feel very slow.  Sit down with your yarn and a cup of tea and by the time you need to pour your next cup, your Tawashi will be finished.  (Unless you are like my co-worker, who will  make a cup of tea and swig it so fast that her mouth gently steams while she is gulping it down.  If you too are one of those people, you’re on your own.  No one could knit that fast.)  They also use very little yarn so they are perfect for scrap ends.

Each one uses almost nothing!

I was a little confused when it came to the sewing up.  It took both myself and my husband to work it out and there may have been a little frustration on both our parts.  But in the end it all worked out.  I cheated a little and instead of sewing the top and the bottom of the tube shut, I simply threaded the yarn through it and pulled it tight.  It’s worked like a charm and means that the finishing steps take under five minutes to complete.

I am super pleased with the progress that I am making in the dishcloth challenge and am further along than I thought I would be, well past the halfway mark.  And I have reached one small milestone – all my cotton now fits in one container! I am very pleased with this development.  Now, I just need the container to be a little less bulgy, but one thing at a time!

The original idea for this challenge came from  Ruth.  Head on over to her blog to read all about it.